Sway Energy - cogeneration

Cogeneration, or combined heat and power (CHP), is the simultaneous production of electricity and thermal energy. Typical power generators - many which use dirty fuel - convert fuel into energy and are, on average, about 30% efficient. Only 30% of the energy in every unit of fuel is converted into usable energy with the remainder - up to 70% - going into the atmosphere as waste heat. SWAY's cogeneration units - which use gas, a clean fuel - can, at a minimum, double this efficiency by utilizing the waste heat to produce electricity thereby significantly reducing the amount of waste heat containing carbon dioxide and various other greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere. The remaining waste heat is then used for producing steam, and can also be used in cooling with an absorption chiller unit to provide CCHP (combined cooling, heat and power) or trigeneration. SWAY's technical team analyses each prospective site based on its proprietary economic and technical model to determine if the site is a candidate for a customized CHP or CCHP solution.

CHP technology is proven to have higher efficiencies than traditional power generators. Higher efficiencies result in reduced green house gas (GHG) and other pollutant emissions. During combustion, natural gas releases less carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitrogen oxide (NOX) than coal or oil.

Photos Above: Courtesy of Capstone Turbine Corporation